2023 Write of Passage Verse Announced
By John David Ware on
For Immediate Release:
The 15th Annual Write of Passage Short Screenwriting Competition (WP) is Underway!
Ecclesiastes 3:1 To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven. NKJV
Writers have one week to author a screenplay based on this verse. See schedule below.
Our Forty-Two Writers Hail From Five Countries:
- Australia, Japan, Great Britain and South Africa.
- USA: AL, AR, GA, ID, IN, KY, NV, OK, SC, TN, TX, VA, WA, WI and CA. The US entries include such exotic locations as Versailles, KY and Pittsburg, CA!
The 2023 Theme is "TIME." It’s about TIME! There are good times, bad times, old times and two times (now and eternity). This is our time! Spend it well, for you are “a mist that soon vanishes.” Take this journey as we explore God’s plan for such a time as this!
Writers get a theme, a verse and a week to create a 12-page script, mentored by a "Development Executive" (DE). Top writer receives cash & an introduction to entertainment industry professionals. The top DE's receives a cash prize.
The Jury Includes:
- Barry Cook, Writer-Producer and Director on Disney’s Mulan. Effects Animator on Tron, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and The Beast, Aladdin
- Alicia Schechter, Writer Alf, A Different World, Sledge Hammer. Story Editor Alf (animated), Alf Tales, 227 and Mel Brooks' The Nutt House. Producer Sunday School, Producer/Writer Storm Watch.
- Mike Wech, Showrunner Drug Wars, Being Beautiful. Editor & Post-production Supervisor, Across the Line, Beyond the Mask, Editor Legacy Peak, BirthRight. Writer SEVEN-X.
- Wes Llewellyn, Director/Producer, The Moment After I & II, It’s Supernatural with Sid Roth, The Farmer and the Belle
- Amanda Llewellyn, Producer/Writer, The Moment After I & II, It’s Supernatural with Sid Roth.
- Nancy Bevins, Screenwriting Professor and award-winning Producer, Director & Writer The Year of the Dog. UPM on Mickey and The Bear (SXSW 2019)
- Rowena Kuo, CEO, Executive Editor, Author, Executive Producer, “Thorns and Thistles at the End of the World (director Aaron Kamp).
- Pete Xifo produced the Award winning 168 film PB&J from his WP script. He is an on camera and voice actor, Christmas on Repeat, Boris on Hulu.
- Ted Cox, author & writer/director of biblical adaptations, working from Belfast, N. Ireland. His prodigal son script was the basis for the multi-award winning feature Mbretëria (2017).
- John David Ware, Founder & Director 168film.com. Producer, UPM, 2nd Unit Director, Final Frequency, Writer & Director, Unbridled.
- Feb 07 (Tu) WP Verse Assignment: 5pm PT / 8pm ET ––Writing Starts
- Feb 14 (Tu) Final Draft Deadline: 5pm PT / 8pm ET –– Writing Ends
- Feb 24 (Fr) Publish Semi-Finalists: 168film.com
- Mar 03 (Fr) Publish 10 Finalists: 168film.com - Audience Favorite Voting Starts
- Mar 07 (Tu) WOP Jury Winner Announced, Winner Interviewed
- Mar 10 (Fr) 5pm PT/8PM ET WP Audience Favorite Voting Closes
- Mar 14 (Tu) Audience Favorite Announced