The judging process takes time, depending on the number of films entered:
- Films are prescreened by 168 staff to watch for rule violations and duration times.
- Films are then spot-checked and grouped according to overall quality.
- Films are distributed to Programmers for initial judging.
- Multiple programmers rate each film based on the criteria below. (To volunteer as a programmer, download and return the Volunteer Application). Programmers DO NOT have to live in L.A. They do need broadband Internet connections.)
- The top scoring films go to the 168 Grand Jury, which gives award nominations and winners.
- In case of a tie, the Scriptural Integration (how well the story is founded on the verse) score will determine the winner. All 168 management decisions are final and not subject to appeal.
"Non-Speed" films, such as "Write of Passage Spotlight," "Documentary" and other standalone categories are judged internally.
In case of a tie the jury makes the determination.